Tuesday 4 May 2010

Talking about Fred

Sheila Dibnah and I meet at the River Pilot at Preston Docks for lunch. (I feel I know her pretty well now as we've met several times during the research for the play and we are relaxed in each others' company.) She is happy to answer my many questions – ranging from what was Fred’s favourite food to how does she feel about the Malc character in the play making a pass at her (character).

I come away with a lot of detail which I can use in the new draft.

Later in the afternoon I meet with actor John Branwell for a coffee. He has already been signed up to play Fred (following his superb portrayal of him at the workshop) and seems as excited as I am about the prospect of a full production. He’s already started his research by reading the Don Howarth's book about Fred Dibnah. We have a pleasant hour chatting about all things Fred before John has to go and get ready for the current show he’s in at the Octagon.